While we're accepting walk-in new passport requests, please note that Passport Agents may not be available for all the times listed below.
Walk-in Service for New Passport Applications
Walk-in hours for all Branches are:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00 am - 12:00 pm and 2:00 - 7:00 pm
Friday: 11:00 am - 12:00 pm and 2:00 - 3:00 pm
Saturday: By appointment only
For more information about how to apply for a US Passport and about how to renew an expired passport, please visit www.travel.state.gov.
Passport Application Status
As of March 24, 2023, the U.S. Department of State estimates the following processing times for your passport application:
Routine: 10 - 13 weeks from the day your application is received at a passport agency or center, not the day you apply or your application is mailed.
Expedited: 7 - 9 weeks from the day your application is received at a passport agency or center, not the day you apply or your application is mailed. Expedited service is an additional $60.00 per application.
New Passport ApplicationsUse our printable checklist to make sure you have all of your documents, copies, payments, and photograph ready to go. This printable checklist (in English and Spanish) will help you keep track of the information you need.
What do I need to apply for a NEW passport for myself and/or my child?
Anyone who is applying for a first-time passport must apply in person using form DS-11. If you were under 16 when your passport was issued (a 5-year passport) you cannot renew.
- Applications: Applications may be filled out online at www.travel.state.gov and then printed single-sided. The Library also provides applications that must be filled out in black ink with no whiteout. Do not sign the application until asked to do so by an agent.
- Applicants and relevant parties: The applicant must be present. Both parents and children must be present for all minor applications under the age of 16.
- Valid photo identification: Applicants and parents of applicants under age 16 must have a valid photo ID.
- Original proof of citizenship: Such as certified, original, long-form birth certificates, naturalization papers, or a U.S. Passport for applicants over the age of 16.
- Current passport photo: The Library does not provide photo services, however, there are several places near the Library that provide the service, such as Costco and Walgreens. Please note: Eyeglasses must be removed for passport photos and must be taken in the last six months.
Note: The U. S. State Department has strict photo guidelines and acceptance of your photo is always at the discretion of the U. S. passport agency.
- Fees: The Library accepts cash or checks for the Passport execution fee, which is $35.00 per passport application. All payments made to the U.S. Department of State must be made by check or money order. The Department of State does NOT accept credit or debit cards. For specific fee information, please contact the Library.
For further information on the passport application process please visit the U.S. Department of State website. If you would prefer to stop in or call the Library, we are happy to review the passport application requirements with you.Crest Hill Branch: 815-725-0234, press 2
Lockport Branch: 815-838-0755, press 3
Romeoville Branch: 815-886-2030, press 1
Passport Application Status
The Library does not have access to information regarding the status of your application. Please contact the National Passport Information Center directly.
You can check your application status online or by phone. You will need the following information:
1. Last Name
▪ Include suffixes (Jones III, Patton Jr, etc.)
▪ Include hyphens as appropriate (Jackson-Smith)
2. Date of Birth (MM/DD/YYYY)
3. Last Four Digits of Social Security Number
- Access the Online Passport Status System to check your application status.
- It may take up to four (4) weeks after you applied for your application to be trackable online.
- Receive automatic email updates on the status of your application by entering your email address after locating your pending application in the Online Passport Status System.
Check by Phone
Call the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778 or 1-888-874-7793 (TDD/TTY) to speak to a Customer Service Representative (Se habla español):
Monday - Friday: 7:00 am to 9:00 pm, Central Time
Saturday: 9:00 am to 2:00 pm, Central Time
*Excluding Federal Holidays
Adult Passport Renewals
Adult Passport renewals are easy to do and do not require a visit to an Acceptance Facility. To renew a 10-year adult passport, visit www.travel.state.gov and download form DS-82 along with the instructions. You can renew by mail if all of the following are true of your most recent U.S. Passport:
It is undamaged and can be submitted with your application;
Was issued when you were age 16 or older;
Was issued within the last 15 years; (not expired more than 5 years) and
Was issued in your current name or you can legally document your name change with a certified copy of your marriage certificate or the government-issued document evidencing your legal name change.