Isle a la Cache, Photo by Donna Nevels of Gallery Seven
Public library services were first offered in Lockport Township in 1922, when the Lockport Woman’s Club started a volunteer library. In 1929 this library became the Lockport Township Public Library, and in 1969 the Crest Hill Branch was opened. For several years Lockport Township Public Library was the umbrella for both of these facilities as well as a service center in Romeoville. In 1981, the Lockport Township Public Library became the Des Plaines Valley Public Library District, and in 2008 grew to include the Romeoville Branch. In 2011, the Des Plaines Valley Public Library District changed its name to White Oak Library District.